Monday, October 3, 2011

Bomb Found on Bradbury Place

Despite the fact that "the Troubles" are said to have ended with the signing of the Good Friday Agreement, threats and provocations between the Protestant and Catholic communities in Northern Ireland still exist. I had not noticed these issues in my every day life until I returned from a weekend away to hear that a bomb had been placed in an area near to where I live and walk every day. The bomb is was placed on Bradbury Place in South Belfast not far from where I live and the infamous Unionist neighborhood of Sandy Row (which I will write about in a few days).


On the above map, my place of residence is on Mount Charles (the orange square) and the general area in which the bomb was found is highlighted by a red square. An article in the Belfast Telegraph says that the bomb could have caused serious injury to pedestrians and cars at the busy intersection. Luckily the police dealt with the explosives appropriately and avoided any serious problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment