Monday, October 31, 2011

Alexandra Park Wall?

Earlier this year I reported on an article I read about the dismantling of a "Peace Wall" in Alexandra Park in North Belfast. Upon visiting the park a few weeks ago I was shocked to find a border still running through the middle of the park. The neighborhood to the north of the park is full of Loyalist relics such as the Union Jack and an Orange hall, while only a short distance away to the south is New Lodge Road which is notoriously Republican.



Although I've highlighted the graffiti along the wall in these images, the park is actually a very nice green space in an are with a fair amount of social housing development. There is a small pond where people were fishing at the time. That said, there were very few other people in the area when I was there.


No comments:

Post a Comment