Monday, February 21, 2011

Road Trip – Limassol Marathon, Governor’s Beach

LIMASSOL

This Sunday, I ran the half marathon (21 km or 13.1 miles) at the Limassol Marathon GSO. Pouring rain cleared just before race time as I set out for the longest race I’ve ever competed in. The course in Limassol (one of the main port cities along the southern coast of the island) follows the almost entirely flat main road along the coast of the sea for 10.5 km (6.5 miles), past ancient Amathus, before it turns back following the exact same route.



Photo of the main road that the course followed. Notice the rainbow from the afternoon rain.

On this clear, warm day I was guided by a tail wind on the way out but faced a pretty fierce head wind for most of the way back (especially when the wind off the sea wasn't blocked by hundreds of hotels lining Limassol's coast).  I ended up running an official time of 1 hour 30 minutes and 33 seconds which was good enough for 15th best male finish and 17th best overall.


Obviously I was exhausted. Artemis, one of the other students at the Cyprus Institute who was there watch her mother, saw me finish the race and took this photo of  me.



GOVERNOR’S BEACH

The rainy day dampened our plans to do any archaeological site seeing and, after lunch in the Old Town of Limassol, we headed back toward Nicosia along the scenic coastal road that I just ran. However, we made an impromptu stop at Governor’s Beach, which we immediately found was worth the short detour off the highway! Bleached white rock formations and cliffs jut out into the sea as wild waves crash against them.







No comments:

Post a Comment