Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cyprus vs. Sweden Soccer Match

Last night I attended the first half of a international friendly match between the Cypriot and Swedish national teams. By halftime the Cypriot team was down 2-0, which is the score they lost by.

The Swedish fans came out in surprising numbers and represented nearly half (I would guess) of the few thousand person crowd. I, myself, probably looked like a lost Swedish fan amidst the dark-featured Cypriots.

One issue I had with the game was that the Cyprus jerseys are blue and white... Making them look almost identical to the Greek national team. When I asked one the guys I was with why the jersey's were that color and almost identical (Cyprus' flag is an orange map of Cyprus on a white background with olive branches) he said, "We're brothers... It's basically the same team". I guess I missed the point of the CYPRUS NATIONAL TEAM.

Photo from last night's match. Notice the Cypriot national team jersey (jumping in blue): http://newshopper.sulekha.com/cyprus-sweden-soccer_photo_1697992.htm
Greek national team jerseys: http://www.greekshops.com/images//WORLDCUP2010_AWAY_CHILD.jpg


I attended another soccer match in Cyprus last summer . It was a Champions League qualifying match for the Nicosia club team APOEL against Partizan F.K. of Belgrade, Serbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment