Friday, November 25, 2011

Spuds

An article in the New York Times today described the new effort to revive the potato as an essential element of Irish dishes. Apparently pasta, rice, and other alternative starches to the spud are becoming more acceptable in the contemporary Irish meal... TRAITORS! 

As many of you may know, the potato left its mark on Irish history during the "Great Famine" during the mid-19th century. A potato disease spread across Europe, but none were hit harder than the spud-dependent Irishmen/women. Approximately 1/3 of the population was completely dependent on the crop when the famine hit, which led to nearly 1 million deaths and a mass emigration of another million (many came to the US during this time).

Despite the article's suggestion that potato consumption was down nearly 25% on the island in recent years, I can't imagine eating more potatoes at a given meal than I already do! Every time I've been out to eat there are AT LEAST two types of potatoes on the table (chips (fries), mash, baked, boiled, fried, etc.)... Don't get me wrong, I love my spuds (and they prepare them well here), but some diversity never hurt anyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment