Tuesday, September 20, 2011

City Centre

No Centre is not a misspelled Center... Now that I'm in the UK I figure I might as well try to get in the habit of spelling things as they do.

Anyway, as seen in my previous post about the celebratory Rotary dinner, one of the first places I was able to go in Belfast was the beautiful City Hall. This weekend I had the opportunity to get out and explore the city for a while and spent some time in the area known as the City Centre. In the middle of this and adjacent to many of the main shopping streets, lies the town hall and its surrounding plaza. The building dates from the early-1900's in a baroque revival style. It was built on the site of the former White Linen Hall.



In the surrounding shopping area, many streets have been closed off to allow for pedestrian traffic, and substantial effort has gone into emphasizing the street life in the area. Many of the buildings in this area date from this industrial period of ship building and linen manufacturing. The large copper lamp posts seen in the picture below are representative of each major ship that was built in Belfast's harbour, which includes the Titanic (I will explain this further in a later post).


No comments:

Post a Comment