Monday, September 13, 2010

A Return to Action

Hello everyone and welcome [back] to my blog. I apologize for its stasis over the past year, but I hope the activity to come will make up for lost time.
Speaking of lost time, here’s a quick rundown of the past couple years of my life that led to where I am today:

September 2006: Began architecture program at the University of Minnesota, thoroughly unprepared for the journey ahead.

May-July 2008: Participated in the program “Tradition in Transition”, an architectural history seminar in Greece led by Professors Rachel Iannacone and Nikolas Bakirtzis. My sponge-like brain was immediately stimulated by the wealth of knowledge these two offered me during our tour of Athens, the Peloponnesos, and a few islands (namely Leros and Rhodes). I continued to travel to Turkey, Britain, Spain, Italy, and France during the following month.

August 2008-May 2009: Began architecture studio courses and worked at the Learning Abroad Center.

June-August 2009: Funded by the Metropolitan Design Center and Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, I investigated the island of Cyprus and the urban planning/heritage preservation approach to draw the divided island together in the capital city of Nicosia (called the Nicosia Master Plan, or NMP). In addition, I attended the Mount Menoikeion seminar at a monastery near Serres, Greece and traveled to Bulgaria, Israel, as well as many other cities in Greece that I had not previously been (including Crete, Meteora, and Thessaloniki). Please see all previous posts and my Flickr page for more detail on these travels.

August 2009-May 2010: Finish up school, feverishly apply for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program and Rotary Ambassadorial Scholarship, and add my photos from travels to the Digital Content Library.

May 2010: Graduated from the University of Minnesota with a Bachelor of Science in Architecture and a minor in Geography.

June-August 2010: Work at Artspace Projects Inc. as a property development intern.

Now: I eagerly await a journey of a lifetime to Nicosia, Cyprus from September 2010-June 2011 to document and look closer at the Nicosia Master Plan as a Fulbright Scholar.

Then: I venture to Belfast, Northern Ireland from September 2011-September 2012 as a Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar where I will be attending class at Queen’s University pending my acceptance into the Urban & Rural Design or Spatial Regeneration programs.

Thank you to everyone that has helped me achieve these lofty goals, and for your future support during the next two years and beyond. I hope you all will comment on my posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment