Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Americanization



KFC, McDonalds, and Starbucks are names I wished to be without for 9 months… These establishments are extremely popular here in Cyprus and are almost always busy when I walk by their locations in the Old City.

I prefer to sit around and socialize, think, or people watch with a more traditional tyropita (flakey cheese pie), souvlaki (pita with pork grilled on a skewer), cypriot coffee, frappe, or Keo (locally brewed beer) at a more local establishment.

2 comments:

  1. I like that even KFC finds outside dining as a drawing card. Does McDonald's do this as well? I look forward to seeing more pictures of the local cafes during your journeys. The food sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, KFC has done the outdoor seating well. It looks similar from the outside as many of the other cafes along this pedestrian-only street (except for the big Colonel Sanders stuck on the front of the building of course). The sad thing about the McDonald's and Starbucks is that is is part of an area that is basically an outdoor food court that you would see in Middle America. It even includes a Cinnabon!

    ReplyDelete