Friday, June 26, 2009

Reflecting

Being here at the monastery has allowed me to sit back and think about my life on a level that I don't feel has been possible in the past. I get so caught up in academics or looking forward to what's coming next in my life (travel, Fulbright, Grad School, Employment) that I don't get a chance to reflect on where I've come from and what means most to me. These are major decisions in my life, but are also opportunities that are supposed to be fun and aren't available to everyone!

Living in this simple community, out of reach from external influence, allows me to focus and catch up to my rising stress level. As I've said before, not having a background in religious studies, art history, and classical studies puts me at a disadvantage during our tours, (mini)lectures, and conversations. However, When I think back to a little over a year ago, I don't think there has been a time in my life that I learned more. Travel has been influential in my passion to learn more about historical, sociological, and cultural aspects of my design education. Studio becomes the ruler of my life, and I'm glad I've taken a stance
against that to allow for a more rewarding and well-rounded (Liberal Arts) education.

As I said when I was in the island of Leros, Greece... The sound of nothing is something so far gone in our contemporary society, that cherishing those experiences becomes extremely important.

No comments:

Post a Comment