Thursday, November 18, 2010

Barber Shop

I had long put off the prospect of getting a haircut, but it was simply getting to a point that was unbearable. Over the past week I searched the Old City for a barber that I thought might have some character.


On a corner near the municipal market (where the car show was located) I found exactly what I was looking for in a one-seat barber shop, with a barber who has been in business for 47 years. Although his English wasn’t good enough to hold long conversations, he completely understood what I was looking for. Following a well-shaped buzz cut I was treated with a single-blade razor treatment to my neck, which left me longing for a legitimate presence of facial hair for him to take care of as well.


At one point he mentioned that he owned an additional shop that employed a few other barber’s, but since the division of Nicosia in 1974 he has been confined to his personal shop where he works by himself when a customer stops by and spends the rest of his time socializing with the other local shop owners and sipping Cypriot coffees. Needless to say, he has secured my business for the remainder of my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment