Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Weekend In Cyprus

Flying from one divided island to another over the weekend to give a presentation at a conference in Nicosia, Cyprus. The conference is called "Shared Spaces and their Dissolution: Practices of Coexistence in Cyprus and Elsewhere" and it is hosted by the PRIO Cyprus Centre and the Association for Historic Dialogue and Research. I will be presenting on a proposal I've developed for the moat surrounding the historic walled city of Nicosia. The moat was one of many aspects of unifying architectural heritage that I discovered in Nicosia, but is a landscape that has been fragmented over time and remains underutilized to this day. The title of my presentation is "Encircling the 'Last Divided Capital in Europe': Revitalizing the Moat as a Unifying Architectural Element" and I present sometime between 2 and 4 on Saturday afternoon for those of you in Cyprus.

I am very eager to hear a number of other speakers at the conference including two that share my time slot, which is generally titled "On the futures of coexistence: Living together after conflict". Jon Calame and Anna Grichting have both been studying urban issues in Cyprus for a number of years and were great resources and perspectives that helped to shape my perspective on the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment